17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 3:00 PM by Anonymous

DLP for Google Drive

Anonymous

Hi!

According to this article Google was working on a DLP solution for Google Drive.

Any words on this?

• Re: DLP for Google Drive
          Anonymous

We are currently aiming to launch this feature in Q1'2017.

Anonymous

That is great. Now that we are in Q1'2017 is there any more guidance on a delivery date? I'm involved in a deployment project right now which will go live at the very end of the quarter where it would be very valuable.

TIA

Rob

Anonymous

Wow, good timing. However, if I'm reading that correctly it is only included in a new tier of licensing? My existing G Suite/Vault customers don't get it if that is the case then this is the opposite of good news. From my reading of the documentation Google is removing GMail DLP from the G Suite for Business offering and making DLP for Drive only available for existing customers if they upgrade? Please confirm this.

Anonymous

YES features are being removed.... and to say I'm outraged is an understatement...

Entice movement to license tiers via VALUE not because you are stripping features away.

Oh, and the price!??!?!  $300/yr - yes a 250% increase!!!!

Ravi,  I really want to convince our leadership of the value here - but I honestly cannot.

And removing features that we've grown to use and built around is just NOT OK.... PERIOD

I gladly jumped at Google for Work Unlimited because there was VALUE.   I will gladly jump to Enterprise as well - but there is no value add? Please help us explain the ROI

Anonymous

I have to say that I'm also perplexed by the pricing. Are we to think that document DLP, some advanced threat protection for email and some analytics are worth 1.5x as much as the entire G Suite package. That seems like madness. One would think that things like DLP and other security and compliance features should be core to the product.

Anonymous

... yeah especially since the original sell for "Google Apps for Work Unlimited" which we gladly jumped to was "Everything Google has to offer both now and in the future"...  yeah until they go through a rebranding exercise

Would definitely appreciate some input from Google here.

Anonymous

The most interesting part of the service description ( Compare G Suite editions - G Suite Administrator Help ) is this:

As of January 31, 2017 Gmail data loss prevention (DLP) is available only with G Suite Enterprise. However, customers who purchase or who have purchased G Suite Business before Mar 31, 2017 can use Gmail DLP until their current Services or Order Term expires or Jan 31, 2020—whichever comes first.

Which means that if a company signed up for G Suite in 2016 and is dependent on DLP for GMail which was part of the service description at the time their costs would go up by 2.5x as soon as their current contract expired just to keep their current functionality.

Could someone on the Google side chime in here and explain what the thinking is behind this?

Anonymous

Hi all-

Thank you for your feedback regarding the new G Suite Enterprise edition and its impact to G Suite Business customers currently using Gmail DLP.

As noted, previously we communicated that current G Suite Business customers could continue to use Gmail DLP until their current term expires, or Jan 31, 2020, whichever comes first. Based on your feedback, and to minimize disruption for customers with approaching term expiration dates, all current, renewing G Suite Business customers will continue to have access to Gmail DLP for their G Suite Business users until Jan 31, 2020 - three years from the date of the announcement.

For any questions regarding G Suite Enterprise pricing for existing customers, please contact your Google representative.

Thanks again for your feedback - please keep it coming.

Rob

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    Anonymous

is that $300/yr per user or per account?

Anonymous

Is there a difference?  An account = user in our instance.  Maybe you have some special licensing? (if so I'm interested in hearing   )

Anonymous

oh ok, I thought you mean account = domain.   So the way I read your post, GSuite enterprise is $300 per user per year? as opposed to one $300 charge added to total domain invoice.

Anonymous

Yep!

Say you had 1000 users... and have invested heavily on the GSuite for Business (uhmmm us), employing all the tools available to you (like DLP for Gmail)... (again sound familiar)

You pay $120,000/yr for this service - which is amazing...no doubt it is a great VALUE (which is how I sold it)

You have built most of your models around this feature set... however, when you renew - you won't have them unless you can find an extra $180,000!!!  a YEAR!!!! Yes more that double the entire cost of the suite!

Yes, that is a Million dollars over 5 years - just to use the features you were already using in a product you already licensed.

I can't find that change in my couch  

I'm really hoping they reconsider. 

I really am all for an Enterprise tier, and the pricing isn't too astronomical - assuming there are features to support it... but add features to that tier - don't remove them from the other. 

Let companies migrate as the feature sets build enough value to support it.    For some, that may be third-party Archiving - then great! make the move. For others DLP for Drive! great! move then - it may be countless other features... to be announced, of which I'm sure there are MANY

But forcing users to migrate because features are being pulled just aint right!

Please vote here:

Leave Gmail DLP Enabled for Business License accounts.

Anonymous

G Suite Basic: $50/user/year:  You could add per account Vault for $50/user/year, and individual storage based on the amount needed.

G Suite for Business: $120/user/year, includes Vault, unlimited storage, DLP, and extra ORG level security settings.

The way Google sold G Suite for Business was to include the unlimited storage, DLP, and extra reporting features as part of the $120 price point.  If you did not need these for your full user count, then you could save money by staying with G Suite Basic, and just buy the services you needed for each seat.

Now Google seems to be taking something away, and moving it to a higher tier.  Instead of offering new features and reporting, and advanced functionality, they are making the current G Suite for Business less useful.  Granted, some of the reports I see as part of this release do look much more polished, and functionality does look improved, so we will just have to wait and see.  Maybe basic DLP as is will still be available in for Business.

G Suite Basic: $50/user/year:  You could add per account Vault for $50/user/year, and individual storage based on the amount needed.

G Suite for Business: $120/user/year, includes Vault, unlimited storage, and extra ORG level security settings.

G Suite for Enterprise: $300/user/year, includes everything from G Suite for Business, plus DLP previously available, plus some very nice revamped reports.

Anonymous

Just an FYI to all here.

I just spoke with a member at Google - and they are working hard to come up with a solution to our concerns.

It seems we have been heard - and hopefully we can come to a working solution for all.   Fingers Crossed (and thank you Google for listening)

1 of 1 people found this helpful